Getting ready for your move:
- Prepare appliances: empty, unplug, tape down electrical cords
- TV’s: Disconnect all cords and electrical devices hooked up to it
- Inform movers of: fragile, old, weak pieces, loose legs, broken pieces, etc.
- Mark boxes appropriately: boxes that may be fragile or contain glass
- Also mark them for proper placement in the new home.
- Tape both the bottom and top of each box!
- Organize areas such as attics, tool sheds, and garages. These areas are very time consuming for the mover if things are disorganized. Mowers and gas cans must be drained.
- Dressers, desks, and end tables should be emptied — especially breakables. Clothing, bedding, and linen can be left in drawers, if you would like.
On moving day:
- Give the movers a run though of the home to advise what should and should not be taken
- Before leaving the old residence, make sure nothing has been left behind
- At your new residence, it is very helpful if you direct the movers with each item for proper placement as it is brought in.
- Elevator moves: Inform building management of the move and check to see if a key is necessary for elevator